One week until we race! Yeah! It's coming. I'm getting really pumped and so is the crew! Speed is coming easily and we are posting some good times for 500m and 1000m pieces.
Tonight we had a maple leaf ceremony. The purpose of this ceremony is to present to everyone their maple leafs that go on the oars when racing. Our oars have the countries flag painted on them. These oars are only made when we go to world championship events such as the one I am going to. (World Cup events do not count.) During training the maple leaf is taken off and the oars are just red and white stripped. So getting maple leafs (which are stickers) and putting them on our own oar is a BIG deal. It symbolizes all the work you put into it and that you have earned your place on the team. The ceremony includes the coaches calling out your name and you receiving your maple leaf (sticker). Nothing big but still significant. Tomorrow morning we will be putting the leafs on the oars in preparation for going to Belarus. (So I'll have pics tomorrow about the event.)
That is all that happened today. GO CANADA!
cool can't wait to see the pictures
ReplyDeleteHey Rose, we're also getting pretty pumped back home as well! At the boathouse several people (including 2 former Huskies) are asking about you and for me to pass along "Hi" and "good luck" and "kick Butt"!!
ReplyDeleteMom & Dad
Thanks Mom and Dad. Tell them I say 'Hi' back! I will get some pictures up tonight, right now I'm going shopping! Got an afternoon off as the boats are in transit to Warsaw where we are meeting them tomorrow.
ReplyDelete