It has been another long break from blogging, but winter training isn't too exciting. It consists of lots of kilometers on the water and once the lake freezes we put lots of time on the ergometer. During the winter months we go south, to Florida, for training camps. Training camps involve on water rowing as well as weights. Our last training camp we did a seat racing matrix which is selection for racing boats for the summer. My personal goal was to maintain my seat from last summer in the women's eight. The selection results didn't end up the way I wanted but I gave my best effort and have no regrets for the effort I put forward in the racing. It's a hard pill to swallow, thinking that your best effort is not enough to make a racing boat, it's difficult to pick up and move on. so, my summer plans were changed and but some new skills were about to be learned.
After not getting a seat in the eight, my coach switched me sides and now I am rowing on starboard. The last time I rowed starboard was in high school. 9 years ago! It was such a confusing motion to learn a new side. You are doing the same motion but rotating in the opposite direction. I have to learn to create new brain synapses to do the motion properly. This happened in March but I have enjoyed the challenge of learning a new side of sweeping. There have been frustrating days but also epiphany days! I can now say that I am bi-sweeptual! An excellent skill to have that can open an extra door for the future of my rowing. Rowing both sides means twice as many seats to challenge for!
No comments:
Post a Comment